House Hazards for Your Pets: A Short List

It’s terrible to consider, but many common home products are toxic to dogs. While you likely already know that chocolate is poisonous to dogs, you may not realize that other seemingly harmless objects around the home, such as little toys and socks, may pose serious health risks if swallowed by your pet.

They are more prone to contact with potentially dangerous drugs due to their innate curiosity and lack of knowledge about these substances’ dangers. Comparatively, animals have a higher metabolic rate and smaller lungs than humans. Their bodies must exert more effort to flush out these poisons. Not only do they metabolize chemicals quicker, but they also breathe them in faster.

Pet House Hazards

Although most pet owners do all they can for their animals, many pet health problems are caused by things that humans can’t see but are easily prevented. In your house, garage, and yard are risks and poisons that might harm your pet which will be discussed in this article.

1. Poisonous Plants

It’s nice to have flowers inside and outside your house, but you should be aware of their potential risks. There is a lengthy list of canine-harming blooms. Some examples of such flowers include lilies, daffodils, hyacinths, wisteria, buttercups, and azaleas.

Just because you can’t bring flowers inside or have a garden doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy them. You can keep your dog safe by only non-toxic planting plants in your yard or by keeping your dog away from any plants or blooms that might be harmful to them. Some solutions include fencing plants, placing vases in inaccessible locations, and removing spent flowers and foliage.

In case of a pet emergency such as poisoning, you can click here, or you can check the websites of the different reputable animal hospitals in your area and check if they provide emergency services. Book an appointment and seek for prompt treatment so as to prevent further complications.

2. Everyday Human Foods

In most cases, pets won’t wait to be asked before putting anything in their mouths. It’s terrible news for canines because they can’t digest many “people’s meals” as we can. Chocolate, grapes, raisins, onions, garlic, xylitol, and nuts are just a few things that should never be given to a dog.

If your dog has consumed anything harmful, call a reputable Visalia veterinary doctor. Your vet may induce vomiting to minimize toxicity and provide supportive care in the hospital. Poisoning symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, coughing, shaking, restlessness, breathing problems, or seizures. Again, in this situation, you should not delay calling your vet to get your dog the help it needs.

3. Pest Control Chemicals

Several substances used to poison rats, mice, and moles may also be fatal to dogs. Your dog may be poisoned either directly if it eats the chemicals or indirectly if it eats a rodent that has been poisoned. If your dog has accidentally consumed rat or mouse poison, please bring the container or a little amount of the toxin to the vet so that they can identify the active component.

If your pet had an accidental ingestion of any chemical, even though he may look okay, bring him to an animal hospital with a vet lab because your pet might need diagnostic testing. 

4. Electric Cords

Pets should never be around electrical cables. Your home’s wiring is almost certainly concealed behind walls. Cats and dogs have a natural curiosity that may lead to harm if they encounter an unsecured wire. Taping down dangling cables is the easiest way to prevent this from happening. Alternately, put them up high, out of the reach of pets. The other option is to purchase a cable management system to bundle all of your cords together neatly. You’ll have a cleaner and more pet-friendly home after doing this. 

5. Small Toys

Toys might become scattered over the house if you have young children. Unfortunately, dogs may be just as drawn to little, vividly colored toys as children. Toys that are too big to be ingested, nevertheless, pose a choking threat if dogs or cats can break off a small enough piece. Make sure you put all tiny kids’ toys away when not in use, and store them in a sealed container or similar inaccessible spot for your pet.